Head of ESG
Notre clientOur client is an investment company specializing in real assets with a pan-European presence.
Since its inception a decade ago, our client has financed over €2.3 billion worth of energy transition and transportation assets. Our client benefits from the expertise of c.25 professionals based in three European countries (Paris, Geneva, and Luxembourg) and offers investment services to institutional investors and family offices with a small-to-mid market positioning.
Our client is organized around two business units:
- Energy transition businesses: a pioneer in energy transition assets, our client focuses on investment strategies that contribute to the energy transition including renewables, green gas, sustainable thermal energy, EV charging networks, electricity storage, etc.
- Transportation assets: our client is a key player in transportation assets, and has proven expertise in selected sectors (medical and security aviation, railway rolling stock, maritime, etc.) to build a resilient, return-generating portfolio.
Définition de poste
The Head of ESG will contribute to the implementation of impact measures throughout the investment cycle of current and future funds advised by our client. He/she will report to the Managing Partners, and the Partners in charge of each business line.
- ESG approach development & implementation
– Collaborate with the investment team to pursue the development of an ESG strategy that aligns with the funds’ investment objectives and the industry’s best practices.
– Conduct thorough ESG due diligence on potential investments, assessing risks and opportunities related to environmental, social, and governance factors.
– Work closely with the investment team to integrate ESG considerations into investment analysis, decision-making processes, and risk management frameworks.
– Identify and evaluate investment opportunities that align with the funds’ ESG approach and sustainability objectives.
- Portfolio Company Engagement
– Engage with portfolio companies, in close relationship with the investment team, to promote ESG awareness, provide guidance, and encourage the adoption of sustainable practices.
– Monitor and assess the ESG performance of portfolio companies, identifying areas for improvement and implementing action plans.
- ESG Reporting and Compliance
– Establish key performance indicators (KPIs) and benchmarks to measure the ESG performance of the funds and portfolio companies.
– Regularly monitor and report on ESG metrics, analyzing trends and progress towards sustainability goals.
– Supervise the implementation of the IT tool for ESG data
– Develop and implement robust ESG reporting frameworks, ensuring accurate and timely disclosure of ESG-related information to investors and relevant stakeholders.
– Stay updated on ESG regulations, guidelines, and industry standards, ensuring compliance across the funds and portfolio companies.
- Business Developpement and representation
– Foster strong relationships with external stakeholders, including regulators, industry associations, ESG rating agencies, and sustainability-focused organizations.
– Participate in industry forums, conferences, and working groups to share knowledge, learn best practices, and contribute to the development of ESG initiatives.
SKILLS & EDUCATION
- The Head of ESG must have a 5-year degree from a business school, engineering school, SciencesPo or a master’s degree in business/management.
- Specific training in sustainable development, and environmental transition, is a plus.
- The Head of ESG should have around 7 to 10 years' experience in a consulting/auditing firm or investment fund, or in a CSR department, including at least 3 to 5 years on sustainable development issues.
- The Head of ESG must be familiar with sustainable investment regulations.
- Fluency in spoken and written French and English is required.
- Finally, in a cross-functional leadership role, the Head of ESG must have proven interpersonal skills to raise awareness and convince his or her contacts.