Biodiversa+ Executive Director
ONG Association & Organisation internationale
Notre clientBiodiversa+ is the European Biodiversity partnership on Biodiversity. It was co-developed by Biodiversa (Biodiversa+ predecessor since 2005) and the European Commission. It officially started in October 2021 and will run for a period of at least 7 years. It gathers over 80 partners from 40 European and Associated countries, which are research policy or environmental policy actors. For the 7 years of the Partnership, Biodiversa+ has a total budget of over 800 M€; including 165 M€ directly coming from the European Commission.
Biodiversa+ aims at supporting research with an impact on society and policy and at setting up transnational biodiversity monitoring schemes.
The Fondation pour la Recherche sur la Biodiversité (FRB) in Paris has been hosting part of Biodiversa’s secreteriat since its creation and plays an important role in Biodiversa+ as a full member.
Définition de poste
The implementation of the Biodiversa+ Work Program is supported through an Operational Team composed of an Executive Director, a Head of Research and Biodiversity Monitoring, a Head of Society and Policy Impact, and an additional 12-13 officers. The Operational Team and in particular the Executive Director are working in close collaboration with the Coordination Team composed of a Chair & two Vice-Chairs.
- Manage and supervise the Operational Team (ca. 15 team members), ensuring its effective functioning and cohesion and regularly monitoring the needs in terms of team development;
- Ensure transversality and coordination of the work plans to create synergies and avoid overlaps;
- Ensure that the governance of Biodiversa+ is respected and that the decisions of the General Assembly are implemented;
- Oversee the general administrative and financial management of Biodiversa+ and the good implementation of the planned activities;
- Develop the annual budget for the Partnership and carefully monitor and adapt the financial model of the Partnership as needed;
- Oversee the organisation of the Executive Board, General Assembly, Steering Committee meetings, and other relevant meetings;
- Support the Coordination Team in all aspects as needed, including in strategic monitoring and advise for the implementation of the strategy;
- Represent the Partnership in external events and meetings upon request by the Coordination Team;
- In addition, the Executive Director being based at FRB regularly interacts with FRB (participates in FRB’s executive committee, meetings with the head of the European & International Coordination Department, participates in FRB team’s life, etc.)
- Higher education degree and more than 6 years of professional experience in program management and/or international collaboration, and a strong experience in management, ideally in an Executive-level position;
- Strong understanding of the European biodiversity landscape, the European research and environmental policies as well as the administrative and financial requirements related to EU grants;
- Full proficiency in both French and English is required.
- Thorough experience of design and implementation of large-scale projects (incl. financial management), championing a culture of evaluation and continuous improvement;
- Well organised and able to manage several work streams running in parallel, while paying attention to deadlines;
- Strong team management skills, capacity in organisational development, creating a good work environment and motivation of staff.
- Excellent communication skills, and networking abilities to engage and foster long-term relationships and team spirit with a wide diversity of partners and stakeholders;
- Capacity to contribute to strategic thinking and to set-up result-oriented approach
- Solution-oriented spirit;
- Ability to work in a multinational and multi-actor context in a complex governance framework;
- Integrity, sense of initiative and autonomy to respond to changing priorities;
- Excellent synthesis, analysis and writing skills;
- Ability to collaborate with a remote team.
- Position based in the 5th arrondissement of Paris, France, at the French Foundation for Research on Biodiversity (FRB), within the European & International Coordination Department;
- CDI (permanent contract), full time;
- Monthly salary: From 3,400€/month before tax, depending on education and experience;
- Partial teleworking possible (up to three days per week);
- Starting date: as soon as possible (from October onwards.)
3 REASONS TO APPLY:
- You are looking for a position where you can contribute your skills and engagement to the effort to bend the curve of biodiversity loss, and to build a future where people live in harmony with nature;
- You like to take on challenges and to learn new skills;
- You want to join a fast growing and dynamic initiative.